[Translate to English:] ASM

Your private flood protection. Our government funding.

As an owner, leaseholder, or tenant of property along the tidal Elbe, you know how important it is to have adequate, future-proof flood protection. Large parts of the city of Hamburg's public flood control systems have already been modernized to meet the needs of the future. This will now be followed by improvement of private flood control systems.

The Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg has implemented a grant program to support you in these efforts that includes 94 million euros in available funding.

What will be funded?

Projects for remedying deficits with existing polders, existing flood control systems for private property, as well as flood control systems for existing operational facilities and existing buildings that to date have no flood protection. The deficits must have been determined on the basis of the most recent flood risk assessment. Examples of structures and projects that can be funded include:

  • Dikes, terps (artificial dwelling mounds), flood walls with gates, vehicle and pedestrian crossings, and conduits for power lines, cables, and pipelines.
  • Structures that protect existing flood control structures from the impacts of waves and wave overflow.
  • Measures that protect buildings and facilities against storm floods, such as: elevation, sealing, and encapsulation of equipment and facilities, installation of backflow protection in wastewater pipelines, etc.
  • Measures that seal and provide reinforcement against storm flood water pressure.

Who can obtain funding?

Owners, leaseholders, and tenants on properties in the Elbe tidal zone that are at risk due to their location within a designated storm flood zone. This refers to zones that have been identified as being susceptible to extreme storm floods by means of model projections calculated under a range of anomalous conditions.

Important note: Only properties that are located outside of public flood control zones and the HafenCity district are eligible.

How much funding is available for each project?

Up to 50% of your certified costs can be covered.

What is the procedure?

After receiving the final inspection report for preliminary planning, the application for approval of a grant must be submitted in parallel with the water law approval procedure.

As soon as you have received your grant approval notice, you may award the contract for construction. Construction contracts that are awarded prior to receipt of the grant approval notice can generally not be funded.

You must finance the planned construction project in advance.

As sections are completed, you may request grant funds (no more than 60% of the total specified in the grant approval notice).

You may apply to participate in the grant program by 30 December 2008.

All proof of utilization of funds must be submitted by 30 June 2016.
In justified exceptional cases, a project's duration may be extended until 30 June 2018.

The grant funds will be paid out after review of the submitted documents.

You can download the grant conditions under the "Vorschriften" (requirements) menu item.

Questions? Don´t hesitate to contact us

Hamburg Port Authority
Förderstelle privater Hochwasserschutz
Neuer Wandrahm 4,
20457 Hamburg

Contact via e-mail

Your direct contacts

Sven Maudrich Tel.: +49 (0) 40 42847-2289

Bernd Möller Tel.: +49 (0) 40 42847-2342

Thomas Diepold Tel.: +49 (0) 40 42847-2341

Carsten Mösenthin Tel.: +49 (0) 40 42847-3143

Forms and applications

Find further information in our Download-Terminal.

To our Download-Terminal


Under what contractual conditions can the static effects of the supporting function of a shoreline structure be taken into consideration?

If the static effects of the supporting function of a shoreline structure are taken into consideration for improvement and new construction measures, static calculations for the shoreline structure must be provided (see Calculation Principles for Flood Control Walls, Flood Control Structures, and Shoreline Structures (BHFU), Section 12; 2013 version, implementation into technical construction practices to take place in the beginning of 2015); in addition a usage agreement with the owner is required. If no usage agreement has been concluded, deeper (more unfavorable) calculation depths must be used for the static calculations (see Technical Conditions (Technische Rahmenbedingungen) HWS-Bau, Section 3.7.2)
If applicable, a copy of the agreement must be submitted with the grant application. In addition, this agreement is an important requirement for the polder approval procedure if the supporting function of a shoreline structure is used.

A template usage agreement (contract) is available to you  here . Please also contact the appropriate division at HPA:

Mrs. Pfeiffer, HPA L211-1, Neuer Wandrahm 4, 20457 Hamburg,
Phone: +49 40 428 47 2169, e-mail: doerte.pfeiffer@hpa.hamburg.de

Mrs. Gerken, HPA EP251, Neuer Wandrahm 4, 20457 Hamburg,
Phone: +49 40 428 47 4171, e-mail: dunja.gerken@hpa.hamburg.de

Mr. Hofmann, HPA EP252, Neuer Wandrahm 4, 20457 Hamburg,
Phone: +49 40 428 47 4202, e-mail: jan.hofmann@hpa.hamburg.de

Bridge abutments
Mr. Buhr, HPA L222-1, Neuer Wandrahm 4, 20457 Hamburg,
Phone: +49 40 428 47 3166, e-mail: tomas.buhr@hpa.hamburg.de

Mr. Wierzewski, HPA L231-2, Neuer Wandrahm 4, 20457 Hamburg,
Phone: 428 47 2577, e-mail: Sven.Wierzewski@hpa.hamburg.de

What permits are required for construction?

Planning approval or a planning permit under flood protection law is required for construction, substantial modification, or removal of flood control structures.

For construction of property protection structures, a construction permit is required under the Hamburg building code. An intensive construction permit procedure must generally be followed. Even in cases for which a simplified construction permit procedure can be followed, the intensive construction permit procedure service should be used.

If a simplified construction permit procedure (without intensive/concentrated effects) is followed in the Elbe flood zone, other permits become necessary, for example a permit under water law.

Where can an application be submitted?

Authority for Economy, Transport and Innovation
Plan­fest­stel­lungs­be­hör­de, RP3
Al­ter Stein­weg 4
20459 Ham­burg
Tel.: +49 (0)40 428 41 1472
Fax: +49 (0)40 428 41 3099

Ham­burg Port Aut­ho­ri­ty,
Bau­prüf­ab­tei­lung Ha­fen E16
Neu­er Wand­rahm 4
20457 Ham­burg
Tel.: +49 (0)40 428 47 3901
Fax: +49 (0)40 428 47 2419

The respective department of the district or the HPA is responsible.

Water right licenses:

Ham­burg Port Aut­ho­ri­ty L213
Neu­er Wand­rahm 4
20457 Ham­burg
Tel.: +49 (0)40 428 47 2897
Fax: +49 (0)40 428 47 2404